Thursday, June 25, 2009

you really never know what the day will bring...

This morning started out like any other morning. #2 asked if we could go to breakfast since #1 is at scout camp. She's been wanting to go to this little place in Kaysville called Grannie Annies. Dad said yes, so off we went. I want to like pancakes. I like the idea of pancakes. I love the whole stack thing with syrup dripping over the edge. But I don't like pancakes. I don't like them homemade or out. But I want to. So when the kids ordered them, I tried them. They were everything a pancake should be. They were Fab.u.lous. I loved them. They tasted just like I've always imagined a pancake should. Light, fluffy and just yummy.

We were partway through the huge stack, when low and behold - my daughter said "what's this on my plate - I think it's a hair"

It was a hair, a shortish coarse red hair. EWWWWWWWWWW - it was either a beard hair or a hair from down below. I got out my reading glasses and looked very closely and there was a tag at the end, where it had been attached to someone. EWWWWWWWWW - I called the waitress over and she took it in the back to see who it belonged to. She came back and told me both the cooks had white hair so it wasn't theirs. She told me the hair was from a brush they used to brush oil on the grill and she brought one out to show me - except it was long and white and bore NO resemblance to the one we found. The waitress insisted it was from the brush and then walked away - never to return to our table. She did tell the kids the secret ingredient in the pancakes while I was examining the hairs - cake mix!

I was sad. I finally found the pancakes of my dreams, only to find them covered in extreme nastiness.

Which turned out to be a good thing I suppose, for I shall never eat pancakes or anything else ever again.

I tried on bathing suits today. I was HUMIDIFIED - Ruby's word for humiliated and mortified - my new favorite word (she's very inspirational if you need to lose weight). I am seriously thinking of reviving the bathing suit that covers the entire body. Those of you who have met me know I'm a plus size gal. Those of you who haven't - well now ya know! I'm not crazy about my body and I am s-l-o-w-l-y working on being healthier and losing weight. But nothing gives you a smack upside the head than trying on bathing suits and then looking in the mirror. Oh the horrors!! I've never been so glad to put clothes on in my life!

Then this afternoon I got a call from #1 at Scout Camp - he's sick and needs to come home. So at 5pm we jump in the car and take a trip down to Moab - which is a mere 4.5 hours away! Consequently we are at the Super 8 in Green River which was not part of today's plans! He is doing much better, and was very relieved to see us. So sad it didn't work out for him since he was so very excited. He did get to go on the major hike today though and took some amazing pictures.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring? Or should I?

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I will probably never eat pancakes again either.

The Songer said...

Oooooo I love Ruby! and I also hate pancakes (since i was 5)! ..... small world!

Thanks for the laughs.. sorry about the "brush bristles"! haha!

Anjeny said...

That is very gross..the hair I mean. And that waitress should be fired!! Maybe it was her hair, u know?

Sorry about your son getting sick and not able to stay throughout his camping trip. Hope you have a brighter tomorrow!

JennyMac said...

Ugh! What a stomach churner.

GreenJello said...

I was humidified by bathing suits two weeks ago. Sigh.

MakingChanges said...

I think my gag reflex is going crazy because I just threw up! I am so sorry! Hubby found a bandaid in his burger once at the Training Table in Provo. Do I need to tell you that we haven't been there since? Didn't think so.

charrette said...

Okay, I don't like pancakes either. Until I got a new cookbook, which I wrote about here: http://divergentpathways.blogspot.com/2009/06/open-letter-to-luisa-perkins-author-of.html Now pancakes are our favorite breakfast ever. We eat them 2-3 times a week, and crave them in between. They are fabulous! And, since you make them yourself -- they come hair free! (yippee!)

Bathing suits humidify me to the point I will no longer don them. Willing to be humidified momentarily inside a closed dressing-room. Unwilling to be publicly humidified. :)

So sad your #1 got sick at scout camp...and my word, what a drive to pick him up! I'm pretty sure there are brownie points in heaven for that. :)

p.s. The word verification is "pitying"

April said...

WOW! I haven't been feeling well all week, and this ......gag.....made it worse! How horrible! I can't eat at a place where I live because I found a hair in my water! EWWWWWW! I loved their stuffed french toast too! BTW I tagged you on my blog! You need to answer some questions! :)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

That does not sound like fun at all. Hope you return home safe and sound.

Barbaloot said...

It's not altogether bad that you don't like pancakes...it's good for you. I don't like cheesecake and I'm perfectly okay with that.

I feel bad for #1 having to miss part of scout camp. What a bummer...but at least he got part of it:)

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Hair in food is the grossest thing in the entire world. I too am not a fan of pancakes (although pancakes made with cake mix sound GOO-OOD).

Karen Mello Burton said...

Don't throw out the idea of pancakes altogether because of this! I love the things!

Hope the rest of the weekend went well...

wendy said...

I hate hate hate being HUMIDIFIED!!! And trying on swim suits is just the thing that will do it. AWFUL just awful experience. A hair on the pancake--hopefully they didn't make you pay for that!! sorry your son got sick at camp, that is a spoiler for him for sure. sorry I haven't been blogging much lately, will try and do better

Anonymous said...

Just let me know when that line of swim suits comes out. I would like to place an order!

yuck, on the hair situation.

Anonymous said...

EEEWWWWW!

Hey tootz, I left you something over at my blog.

Hugs