Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head

and falling and falling and falling!

My pretty white fluffy clouds have turned shade of gray and are dumping! With rumblings and flashes thrown in for effect. It's very exciting!

It's been great for my new bread baking hobby though - cold and damp are more conducive to baking than hot summer days!

I have found the most AMAZING bread recipe I tell you. We call it Monk Bread. There is a monastery in the middle of nowhere (okay Huntsville - but if feels like the middle of nowhere!) here in Utah - which for some reason amazes me. I wonder what made a bunch of monks decide that the middle of Utah was a great place to hang?

I'm actually quite fascinated by this monastery. I've been by there a couple of times, but never at the right time to hear the chanting or buy some of their amazing honey I keep hearing about. Whenever I mention it to someone, they tell me about the amazing bread that the monks no longer sell.

Well it seems these kind monks know that people still talk about their amazing bread they no longer sell, so for a limited time they are offering the recipe for a mere $9.95. Not really, it's FREE and you can find it here. You so need to click on that and bookmark it - seriously.

I've been accused of becoming all Molly Mormon since I've moved here - what with all the canning and jam making and bread baking - but this is AMAZING bread anyone can make! All I did was follow the directions (except it doesn't take anywhere near 6 cups of wheat flour) - and it has turned out fabulous each of the 5 times I've made it. It doesn't even taste like wheat bread - it's light and fluffy and oh so yummy! Probably because it's Monk Bread! (I wonder if it's okay for a Molly Mormon to make Monk Bread?????) Even my "white bread only please" eaters will eat this.

In addition to this recipe, the monastery also offers retreats - mostly for men, but if the family guest house is available, they let women hang with them. I am so going to do that - and while I'm there I'll see if I can learn any other amazing recipes they might have. And maybe find some enlightenment or whatever it is monks do (perhaps I should read that section of the website before I go) and learn to chant...could be quite an adventure. Val and the Monks. My kids are kind of freaked by my fascination, but they are enjoying the bread!! (and you can too, seriously, just go back and click the link)

Just one more thing - it made yummy sandwiches 2 days after baking - can your wheat bread do that???

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea about this monatstery. How cool! I am making a resolution to show up there naked this year.

Alyson | New England Living said...

I didn't realize that it was better to bake in rainy weather. I guess I'm in luck then! We have plenty of rain here in the summer. That's the reason it's so green and why we don't need sprinklers for our grass.

I'll have to try that bread!

heather said...

I totally want to learn how to make bread. And homemade bread never lasts more than a day in this house.

charrette said...

I've heard about that legendary monk bread. I'm clicking for the recipe right now! Thanks!

p.s. It's raining down here too.

p.p.s. And how much money would you pay to see Kristina terrify those monks with a streakfest? She makes me laugh so hard!

Wonder Woman said...

I saw that you were going to be at Kristina's lunch and thought I'd stop by and say hi. Hi!

There's a monastery in Utah?! What the crazy.

The only thing I've been able to bring myself to do during ou recent downpours is open the windows and sit down with a book.

Pom Pom said...

I'm fascinated by monks, too. I like Kathleen Norris' work The Cloistered Walk. And the thought of their bread, well yum . . . that's what I think.

Karen Mello Burton said...

I just drove across country and back, where i hot rain every day but maybe two. The Nebraska rain was so pounding I could have sworn it was putting holes in my car.

The bread sounds yummy.

Melinda said...

Okay, seriously I've been singing that song every day! haha
I didn't know there was a monastery here either, I'm all over that! (especially if Kristina's going naked, wouldn't miss that for anything!) I'm going to try the bread, thanks for the link!

(p.s. Thanks for your comment on the Venus vs. Mars blog, you're fantastic!) :)

Jessica G. said...

The infamous monk bread! You mean it really exists?? ;)

steenky bee said...

It was so good to meet you at the lunch today! I love the Monastery in Huntsville! I love it up there in that area, so green and peaceful and no Wal-Mart in sight. Woot!

MakingChanges said...

Okay, so since I don't have a thermometer to make sure it comes to exactly 100 degrees, can you just make some for me and I'll love you forever? I totally want to go to that monastery. I have heard it is a great place to see.