Saturday, May 16, 2009

Randomness and amazing cookies...

So, is it wrong to ditch out early from Pack meeting where 2 of my scouts are finally getting awards so I can go to an American Idol Finale party next week? I didn't think so.

I was so shocked that Danny went home. I thought for sure that it would be Kris - he's cute and his voice is good - but I like Danny's gravellyness. I think Paula sold him down the river last night with her song choice for him...oh well.

Yes, I'm an Idol geek! But this is my first season really watching it - so I'm a new geek!

**************************************************************************

I made the most amazing peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Truly amazing. I've decided cookies are my thing. Making cookies is kind of a big deal for me. My friend Karen bakes cookies all the time. She's really good at it and she makes it seem effortless. Just whips them up - no prob. Me - major ordeal.

It's a recipe from Smitten Kitchen . They were easy and so worth the effort. They came out looking perfect - just like her pictures. I've never made perfect cookies before. I baked one batch soft and one batch crunchy. Both Fabulous! I followed the recipe pretty spot on - except I used Smart Balance Butter Blend - and Egg Beaters so I could pretend they were healthier and eat the dough with no worries of samonella!!

And they were sparkly from the sugar. Sparkly = good! They were sparkly vampire cookies. And I made them for Crash for her birthday. Happy Birthday Crash! But we ate them in her honor - with some Code Red (not really). Sounds like it would make a great breakfast combo. May have to try it.






***************************************************************************





I went to an Artisan Bread Baking class the other night. YUMMY! I have always wanted to make Artisan Bread and now I know how! I love cooking/baking classes. They are so instantly gratifying. You can learn a new skill in one night - and learn to make things for a fraction of the cost. The only prob with Artisan bread - you have to plan ahead. It's an overnight thing so I have to decide tonight that I want bread tomorrow. I'm more a fly by the seat of my pants dinner maker - so when I want yummy bread I'll have to plan ahead - darn!


***************************************************************************

This week is the 1 year anniversary of our move to Utah. I really can't believe it's been a year. So many good things have happened here - lots of not so good things too - but they probably would have happened anyway - except maybe for the broken ankle on the ice thing - since there's not a lot of ice in San Diego!!

I'm missing San Diego a lot less now that it's spring and pretty here! All in all it's been a really great move for our family - ok, twist my arm - I'll admit it - it's been good for me too! If we weren't here I wouldn't have gotten to go to the fabulous Bloggy Blind Date. And I wouldn't be going to Kristina's Shindig in June or Crash's Bash in July. Those alone make the whole winter thing totally worth it (I can say that since snow is just a dim, dim memory right now!) Oh and peach season will be here soon - also totally worth it!



***************************************************************************


Big favor time - do any of you know of any really good, nice restaurants in Sugarhouse area? Or Salt Lake? I'm taking my mom to lunch next week as a Mother's Day gift from my sister...but I'm kind of at a loss.



************************************************************************************

Last, but certainly not least...thanks for all the great mother's day wishes! I love bloggy friends!

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

How nice of a restaurant are you looking for? We had our wedding luncheon at a place called Lamb's Grill on Main street. You can Google it. It's a really cute little place, and their salmon is to die for. The Garden Restaurant on top of the Joseph Smith Memorial building is really nice too.

wendy said...

If you want to make more cookies ---come on over and we'll eat them, laugh and I'll serve up your favorite beverage. We could even dance around the yard NAKED--ok maybe not, I just wanted to say that. I am bumbed that I can't be to the blogger gathering hosted by Kristina --I AM GOING HOME TO THE GREAT WHITE NORTH and can hardly wait. Will have to smoke some drift wood

April said...

I just copied and pasted that yummy peanut butter cookie recipe! It looks delicious! I have to get ready for our youngest's graduation from HS this week. SIGH. Where does the time go? Anyway, I need treats for the lunch afterwards, and if I have time, then I will make them, if not, I will just buy cookies from Costco...hahaha! Glad you are enjoying your time in UT. Glad you have made friends too! That's half the battle!

Karen Mello Burton said...

If you like Mexican food the Blue Iguana is terrific. Seafood? Market Street Grill.