Thursday, April 30, 2009

pandemically prepared...

So first I got an e-mail from the emergency preparedness person in our ward entitled "proper ways to cough" with a Pandemic Planning Flyer attached. (Which apparently I've taught my children well, but don't follow myself. My son called me out in front of his pediatrician for coughing in my hand instead of my elbow...busted!)

Next I find my blog list thingy and see that Swirl has posted
Are you prepared? Well, in a word -- No -- I'm not, but thanks for asking! I really prefer the whole bury my head in the sand approach to preparedness.

I decide we need to stock up. My husband and I go to Sam's Club and my mom goes to Costco. Where we proceed to call each other at least 20 times to check the price on various items. My mom tells me she has a separate fund for emergencies, like the dental work for my abscess (thanks mom!) and my sister's cancer surgery and TV's - so could I check the price of the Flat Screen TV's for her while we're there. I'm SO glad her priorities are in the right place!!!
She's pretty funny!

I bought the big bag of chocolate chips. My dad had this theory that all he really needed for his food storage was chocolate in various forms and then he could trade all the ladies for any other food items he wanted!! I think he might have been on to something!

I may or may not have gotten into it with the cashier. We had a flatbed and a cart. I had unloaded the cart, but the flatbed was filled with cases of water and canned goods. We unloaded all the small stuff, but they informed us we had to unload everything! What the WHAT? They aren't allowed to just scan items, they have to move them from one cart to another, or they'll get in trouble. I am annoyed by this. So I ask to speak to the supervisor. I may or may not be experiencing a comma, which is maybe not my most charming time.

So I proceed to tell the supervisor how stupid I think this is. She tells me that they've had problems with cashiers not catching all the items when they scan a flatbed, so everything must be moved. I'm thinking: your employee incompetence should not equal more work for me - they manage just fine at Costco.

At which point I share with her that we won't be doing that, and they need to find someone to do the switching. So they go get some poor guy from the pizza area and make him do it. Yes, my husband could have done it. But I figured he had to unload them 2 more times and mostly I was just annoyed! I told the cashier that next time we needed big stuff, we'd definitely go to Costco.

When we got to the car my husband told me the cases of water we got (6, 1 gal bottles) isn't available at Costco - so I told him to please go without me next time.

Sometimes I seem so normal, and then I turn into a mildly raving lunatic! And when I got home I looked in the mirror and my first thought was...I can't believe I was so wenchy on a bad hair day!!! Because we all know that people respect you more when your hair is flipping just so - am I right? (I don't think this flippy hair was a good move for me. I seem to obsess waaaaaay to much over it!)

I can just see the supervisor telling the cashier,"oh honey, don't worry about it, she had a big ol' bruise on her face and bad hair...you really can't take her seriously!" Yes, the bruise on my cheek from my abscess is changing into that lovely yellow which offsets the black and blue so nicely and makes it oh so much more noticeable. The cashier even asked me about it.

And I did apologize to the cashier, she said I really wasn't bad, and that I should see how mad some of the people get...wonder why??? Oh well...

Now for some FABULOUS news: Are you ready for this? I, Val of the South (ern part of California) won, yes actually WON a set of 24 Jonas Bros Posters!! I know can you believe it? I might be persuaded to share them with my 11 year old daughter, but we'll see! Kristina P. - I know you really wanted them...sorry charlie! What a great week - first I get to meet
Heidi and then I won the posters from her !!

Perhaps I need some hormone balancing...do you see a trend of major annoyance? I think some chocolate is definitely in order! With a side of Pepsi Throwback...(have you throwback yet? pepsi and mtn dew - old school - yum) we better stock up.

9 comments:

val of the south said...

Wow, those words are way super big - and I don't have time to change them...sorry!

MakingChanges said...

Okay, now I am just glad that I go to Costco- that's freakin' gay!

And yes, those words are way big, but you don't need your glasses, right?

Kristina P. said...

You won those posters?!?! I hate you right now.

And I'm coming to your place when I am about to die.

Heidi said...

Oh, all so very funny! So much funnier now that I have met you! Love it! Esp since I am practically catatonic with worry about this flu thing.

Karen Mello Burton said...

LOL. Loved the surgery AND tvs under the same category! Good luck to us all!

Melinda said...

Loved this, I will never go to Sam's again! Those idiots! I'm glad you said something, but seriously are they that dumb?! Get some chocolate woman!

wendy said...

Well, when you are having a bad hair day ANYTHING GOES!!! some people's logic is so NOT LOGICAL. Sheeesh,--wait till you hit menopause ---it's so much fun
I need to stor up on diet coke
salt and vinegar potatoe chips
and frozen corn (I like corn , ok) and so swine flue ---BRING IT ON

April said...

I stocked up yesterday with comfort food. Totally stupid that you had to unload your whole cart. In WalMart they yell at you if you put multiples of large items on the conveyor belt. Same company! Totally retarded! (No offense to the retarded people of the world)

Anonymous said...

I heard some else say that they were stocking up on Chocolate, to use as a trade for something their family might need.

This was a funny post, love it.