It's been a very busy week - for me anyways so I am taking full advantage of Sunday being a day of rest. I've had 3 naps already! Ok, so one of them was only 5 minutes long, but I'm counting it!
There is something about rainy days that make me want to stay in and hibernate. I wish I had the energy and desire like I did back in the day to play in the rain, stomp in puddles, catch raindrops in my mouth. Now all I can think is that I'd get wet...really wet. Not my favorite way to be unless I'm in the shower or a jacuzzi.
My friend Melanie came by to visit from Colorado a few weeks ago and she was so excited to see we had tree swings. She quickly changed her clothes so she could play on the swings with my kids. She had the best time. When she left, my kids asked me how old she was...she's the same age as I am. It made me feel old.
When did I become so old? Why don't I want to go play on the swings, or go to the park, or play in the rain?
I'm reading an interesting book called A Walk On The Beach Tales of Wisdom from an Unconventional Woman by Joan Anderson. She spent some time living alone at the beach and met Joan Erikson wife of the famous psychoanalyst Erik Erikson who was in her 90's.
The parts that impressed me are about living in the moment from Joan Erikson:
"It's a matter of using all that is around you, merging your senses with the world like an animal or a child would do to find the clarity you seek. Once again, the key is to loosen up. Where curiosity and playful discovery are the focus of the activity, there is little room to fail"
And my favorite:
"Take off that woolen skirt you wear all the time, tie a piece of chiffon around your waist, get rid of your underpants, and go sit in the sand for a while. You'll recover your feelings and ideas in no time. After all, wisdom comes from life's experiences well digested. Stop relying so much on your mind and get in touch with experience."
So, I'm thinking I need to get naked, tie on some chiffon, and dance around in the rain. How could you not live in the moment while doing that? Perhaps I'll wait until after dark - don't want to scare the neighbors!
She is sassy that's for sure, I hope I'm sassy when I'm old! I think I'll start now.
I think I'll go have a walk in the rain, for now the only naked part will be my feet - I'll let them be first to live in the moment...baby steps, baby steps.
Creating a Sacred Space
6 years ago


13 comments:
That sounds like a really fun book. :)
I am all about the nudity, as you know.
I'm totally cool with dancing naked in the rain... but the whole sitting in the sand thing just gives me the willies... there are certain places that sand just shouldn't go.
that said - I think one of the naps you took was mine... do you think I could get it back by next week?
okay - really there isn't anything else important to say - but your word verifier says "reedamn"
be careful when you wash its mouth out with soap though - because computers don't like water so much.
A couple of years ago We came home from church during a torrential rainstorm and I splashed around in the puddles right at the edge of my yard with my kids. We were soaking head to toe and people driving by (ward members) stared and pointed. My husband is the bishop! It was awesome!
I ready to try something new, not sure about nudity to come to my senses.
We went out side and enjoyed the rain, my son rode his bike around in it. (on Saturday)
Hey, thanks for the reminder, sometimes I forget about the right now. :)
I've had a blast splashing in puddles this week, the kids and I are laughing...okay, so I'm in my CAR. Yeah, baby steps!
Hey, every summer when I go home to see my family, we go skinny dipping. So fun!! Call me when you want to dance around naked in the dark ---Heck, lets invite all the bloggy girls and have a naked fest.
hey, are you Kristina's neighbor? Her neighbor love naked, and so does Kristina. I am too much of a prude, but maybe if I actually did this I would lose my inhibitions and then where would I be? Naked, wet and cold. That's where.
Playing in the rain is much more fun when it's WARM outside. I wouldn't go play in this cold rain either:)
Love it!!
You have to do everything once or maybe more!!
I like that sassy lady! It's so true! We need to live in the moment. I find I'm realizing that more and more.
Post a Comment