Wednesday, April 29, 2009

it's about darn time!

Pretty things are happening around here - Finally! While I was complaining ALL winter long...my friend Karen in San Diego said just wait until Spring, you're going to LOVE it. She was so right!!!


This is the apple tree in our backyard. Real live apples will appear on this very tree. Can you believe it? Yes, I took biology - in college even. But I tell you, when every stinkin' tree around here lost all those leaves and looked like dead tree skeletons from Legend of Sleepy Hollow, I had a hard time believing this could ever happen:



Yes, we had trees in San Diego, but when everything stays green most of the time, you take it for granted and don't notice the change. It's soooooo dramatic here.



Did you see that? Blue sky and pretty blossoms!

And that concludes Val's Happy Spring Update...when more cool things bloom, I'll let you know!

Now, join me for the pre-teen drama segment...

I need to know if I'm over-reacting. My daughter's 6th grade class is doing Shakespeare vignettes. Her group consisted of 5 boys and her doing the fight scene from Hamlet. She wanted to be the queen (the only female part) and so did one of the boys. He wanted to "wear a dress and get drunk". The teacher said they would have to audition for the other 6th grade teachers to see who'd get the part.

So she practiced all weekend and had the part down. At the audition the boy didn't know his lines, messed up and had to start over several times. He showed up in a tutu and wings with a sign on that said Daddy's little princess. He got the part.

She was hurt and bewildered. I was annoyed. Personally I thought they should have nipped it in the bud and just given her the female part since that's what was intended.

I'm not a prude - but I was surprised that they would encourage/allow cross dressing in the 6th grade. And this isn't supposed to be campy Shakespeare - they're playing it straight.

It's not that I want to run in and fix this for her (okay, really I do, what mother doesn't?) The teacher selected a new vignette for just her and another girl. So it's not that I want them to go back and give her the part. And I understand it's important for her to learn to handle rejection and that life's not fair yada, yada, yada - I told her all that. But I'm still annoyed.

I know in Shakespeare's time, all the parts were played by men. But we're talking 6th grade smallish town Utah...I thought it'd be different.

Am I wrong?

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's sort of odd. Maybe she's looking at it from the point of view that in Shakespeare's time, ALL the actors were male. Still weird.

BTW, I am eating Cafe Rio right now. You must go there as soon as possible. The salads are to die for. I usually get the chicken, but the pork is also excellent.

Heidi said...

So, Kristina, why didn't we go to Cafe Rio to begin with? Sheez! Val--LOVE the photos! Gorgeous!

Melinda said...

It is so pretty outside right now isn't it?!

Okay, the Shakespeare thing bugs me too. Especially because it sounds like the boy was just being stupid and trying to get attention. They really should have nipped it instead of letting it go on. Dumb.

MakingChanges said...

Oh, I would be SOOOOOOOO mad! I would raise a little HECK in the class. That is just about the gayest (pun intended) thing I have ever heard. Not homophobic, but really, do we need to encourage it????

PS LOVE the pictures of your tree!

charrette said...

I'm reveling in all that beauty here too right now. What did I tell you...Better than we thought...right?

I think the kid was pandering for the part. And your daughter just lost one to affirmative action...or something.

Hang in there!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

You're dead right!

HA HA HA HA! Too funny, in a weird way.

I LOVE Cafe Rio pork salads.

And I'm sooooo happy for you. I know you've been waiting for spring forever.

P.S. When is your whiney weather blog coming out?

Karen Mello Burton said...

Great photos. I LOVE the blue skies here. Everything seems so brilliant!

Sorry about your daughter. That really stinks.