Monday, April 26, 2010

So, again, I haven't been around much.  I'm here, just not sayin' much.  I've been a midnight stalker to your blogs.  Too awake to sleep, too tired to comment!


I've been going through my existential crisis.  Is there really more to me than being a wife, mother, cook, driver, washer woman...? I think it's my twice a year mid-life crisis.  It's there the rest of the time too, but only twice a year does it burst forth from the little box I shove it into the rest of the time. I sooooooo need a bigger box.


I took a break from my deep ponderings and went on a fabulous long weekend with my family to Vegas - where I proceeded to bake the winter right outta my bones by the amazing pool at the South Point Hotel. It felt so good to be hot that I didn't even complain about the heat for a whole day!! (I was too busy shopping at Trader Joe's!)




The highlight and most remembered portion of the trip occurred Sunday night when I said, Hey, why don't we drive to the Strip and see the lights...oh naive one, what the h-e-double toothpicks was I thinking???


HOLY CRAP!  Ok, so it's been a few years...but seriously, rolling billboards...that just LOVE to pull up next to families from Utah, and stay with them along the strip - smiling at the horrified mother who is yelling at her sons to look the other way or their eyes will melt in their heads...seriously!!


My daughter called it Portable P (word that rhymes with corn).  My 10 year old said - Mom I kinda wanna look! (I don't think he had a clue what he wasn't supposed to be seeing - just knew if he wasn't supposed to, it might be good!...I love (hope) that he's clueless that way!


My husband just laughed.  Fun family Sunday activity!!


Monday we headed to St. George.  We were supposed to go home - but decided vacation beats school any day!  I texted Shelle and April to see if they were free to meet.  April was on her way to Salt Lake :(  But I did get to meet up with Shelle and her husband at the infamous Nielsen's Frozen Custard, which by the way was amazing, as were Shelle and husband!  We missed ya April!


And my bestest friend that I've known since 6th grade (but hated back then!) lives in St. George - and she rode her cute little scooter over to our hotel and we caught up while the kiddos swam.  Old friends, new friends, playing hookey from school, seeing polygamists at DI - it was a great stopover!




I didn't know polygamist had cell phones (but no pockets I guess!)

Momma and her mini me's


We stayed a day too long and ended up driving all the way home in rain, sleet, hail and snow...unfortunately that beating sun quickly became a fleeting memory!!


All in all we had a great time, but now I have to find somewhere to put all that Trader Joe's stuff...I think I might have gone a little overboard...wish me luck!

18 comments:

Jenny said...

Such sweet words to read, Trader Joes! Can you really buy to much from there when they don't have the curtsy to have one here.

Like you I have been having my 2 times a year midlife crisis. I am just coming out of it.

Sunny Days are ahead for us CA love in women! :)

heather said...

We went down to AZ for spring break so I could bake the winter out of my bones too!! I sat out in the sun with the attitude of let me roast! I LIKE it!!

And we made a TJ's trip too because CO doesn't have TJs either. We purchased $52 worth of flattened bananas. No joke!

Karen Mello Burton said...

Oooo, breaking the Winter out of your bones! Great and warm image.

And those last couple of pictures. Yipes!

Karen Mello Burton said...

I meant baking. Sorry, I was distracted. LOL

Barbaloot said...

Oh-baking the winter out of my bones sounds like EXACTLY what I need! I'm jealous of that, and even more jealous that you got to go to Nielsen's. That place is amazing.

Glad to see you on here---no matter how sporadic:)

Kristina P. said...

Well, I was glad I got to see you on Saturday! We are going to St George next weekend.

Last time we were in St. George, last month, we went to Ruby Tuesdays and had dinner next to polygamists. They are everywhere!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

ha ha ha ha about the polygamists at D.I. I saw those same Poly G's at Chuck-A-Rama on Valentines day.

And that is crazy about Vegas and the rolling corn with a p. My son was just there 2 weeks ago. No wonder he said "I can see why they call it sin city."

YIKERS!

Congrats on your mini vay cay and on seeing Shelle Belle.

And YES, I'm in for IKEA! I need me a new red spatula.

Hey, your verifier says bounce. Cool. Before I bounce, hope you get a bigger box to contain your mid-year crisis! ;)

LY!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

No your verifier says cryyoga.

hee hee

Both great ways to beat the blues.

Heidi said...

There's always room for stuff from Trader Joe's. Glad you had some time in the sun--so important for that fibro pain.

Alyson | New England Living said...

I hear ya on all the stuff you said at the beginning of this post! We mothers definitely have to work a lot at remembering that we aren't just our children's servant!

Holy hair, polygamist!! Wowzers!

Homer and Queen said...

Oh nice!!! Thanks for calling me!! I don't even look at the billboards anymore...

Dust Farmer said...

Wow Val that photo of the Poly with the cell is great! You should become a P.I.! I can just picture you hiding behing a shoerack giggling while you get out your cell phone to snap a pic!

Hope you are enjoying all the goods you got from Trader Joes! I'm so jealous!

wendy said...

I am always glad to see you back on line. I knew you lived in northern Utah somewhere ---so next time I am in Syracuse I'll have to look you up eh. There just never seems to be enough time for me to do ALL those fun things I want.

Glad you got away for a break. I think we all go through those times where we wonder "what defines us beyond what we DO every day".
It doesn't really change Val, even at MY age, I am still trying to define myself. Since moving here to Alberta and not yet knowing many people, I'd sometimes get depressed and ask Barry "I don't feel a purpose here". He was baffled thinking honey, your purpose is to be here with me and be my wife and love me.
YUP
and I'm ok with that.
But sometimes we just want to "reach out" a little further eh.

April said...

I'm so glad that you called. I can't tell you how sad I was to miss your visit here in St G. Next time!

PS-Glad you could warm up those bones!

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

polygomists have cell phones because one sister wife is always on call for another. it's a safety thing.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Wish you were coming to CBC. It won't be the same without you!!!!!

See you next week at IKEA though.

Queen "B" said...

Aloha!,
so glad I'm back in my blogsphere and had a chance to visit you:)
You crack me up as always,love that frozen custard ...do you think Vegas is the next Sodom and Gamora? hmmmmm....although I understand Vegas has a huge LDS community...and as for those women in the DI with the same dresses and Do's really reminds me of blind sheep!! anyway too funny and really glad I got to visit you
Aloha wishes
Brandi

heather said...

Just wanted to make sure you got the email today about my blog address change. It's now

agoddessinprogress.blogspot.com