Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Anxiously Engaged...

My mom is engaged.  She's getting married next month.  It's weird.  When she started dating him a few months ago, we teased her about it, never dreaming it would really happen.    People keep asking me how I feel about it and honestly, I don't know. I'm happy for her - because she's happy, but it's seriously very weird. 

So, if you know of any good bakeries in Utah that do a rockin' chocolate cake/chocolate frosting, please let me know asap!

It's been C.O.L.D. here - super cold and the ground is COVERED in white stuff.  And I'm not as afraid of driving in it this year, which is something, but I sure am not fond of it.  Though after watching an accident happen right next to us on the freeway today, I may go back to being afraid of it!

It's been a busy holiday season so far - we've been to:

Scrooge at The Rodgers Memorial Theater in Centerville (fun - the kids loved it - if you haven't been to Rodgers - check it out, it's theater up close and personal)

Rachel's Jr. High Choir Christmas Concert (Rachel was fabulous, but the concert was ANNOYING - horribly disorganized and chaotic)

Jared's Elementary Ballroom Dancing showcase (there is something absolutely life affirming about watching your 10 year old son ballroom dance - I loved it!)

But my favorite way to celebrate the holiday season is to watch as many cheesy FaLaLaLa Lifetime/Hallmark Channel Christmas movies as possible.  I'm doing pretty good so far.  This week alone I've watched "12 Men of Christmas" nothing says Christmas like a male pin-up calendar!  And I watched "National Tree" because Andrew McCarthy has grown up to be quite the ruggedly handsome man :). I watched "A Perfect Holiday" because the lady in the movie wears the cutest hat I want to knit.  I watched the original "Christmas in Connecticut" just because it's good!  And I'm not ashamed to say I still have 4 more on my DVR awaiting my attention!!

And in case you're wondering, no, we have no presents bought (we did go out to lunch to discuss it!), no decorations up (though Eric made a cool soda can lighted Christmas tree), please - I'm too busy with the plethora of movies available this time of year.  I need to see every way Santa can bring you a boyfriend for mom, or a new daddy (he's bringing me one!), or save our town, or our newspaper, or our tree, or our family.  People in Hollywood really expect a lot from Santa - and lucky for them, he always delivers!!

My husband just walked by and informed me that Christmas is in 16 days (now 15) and then a wedding 3 weeks after that.  I suppose I better get busy...but I think I'll just watch one more movie first...

13 comments:

Sarah said...

http://iotcake.com/
Try this lady she is a friend of mine and she does beautiful work.

Barbaloot said...

Congrats to your mom:)
Um-maybe you don't want this for a wedding cake, but you should probly know Costco makes an AMAZING chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I heard it goes really well with Lifetime movies.

Speaking of which-I totally forgot to record 12 Men of Christmas! Bother.

Kristina P. said...

What area of Utah is she getting married in?

I posted yesterday a list of women who have businesses, and two of them do cakes. Look under Goodies. Jessica and Amber both make them.

Homer and Queen said...

I never watch TV during the day but I have been sick so now I want to renevate my house, have a makeover, and buy a wedding dress! Geez I need a life!!!

Melinda said...

I'm so bad, I hate the Hallmark Christmas movies, and yet still sit and watch them (making fun of them the whole time though). Congrats to your mom, and good luck with the cake!

mCat said...

Okay, you need to get busy girl! Lay off the cheesy movies. Save them for New Years day : )

April said...

Congrats to your mom! I hope you get your desire to shop soon! I don't shop for Christmas. I give cash to my boys and the hubby and I have agreed not to exchange gifts. The other gifts we exchange (between family members) have to be made. So that's easy enough! But, I might just have to go out to lunch just to make sure I'm on track! :)

Karen Mello Burton said...

I have been so caught up in other things, and, besides the tree, I now find myself terribly behind schedule. UGH

I bet it is weird to have your mom marry. But at least when you're an older "step child" you know you can call him by his first name. :)

And COSTCO has an unreal choc cake.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Good to hear from you. Sounds like things are going well. I with Barb, sad I missed the 12 men of Christmas. Good luck with the shopping, I am right there with you.

wendy said...

HEY, glad to hear from you again Val.
Holiday movies. I don't watch too many of them. Basically just Christmas Vacation which makes me laugh no matter how many times I watch it. I know, I am pathetic.

I am leaving for Utah tomorrow and I imagine I will see many more with the grandkids ---the cartoon variety.
Christmas shopping is such a drag sometimes.

have a wonderful Christmas my friend
Ch

Cranberryfries said...

Congrats to your mom. What do your kids think?

Happy movie watching! I really need to get busy watching more. I think I've watched 1 holiday movie so far.

Sher said...

Oo! Oo! I know somebody! Right here in Kaysville! She's AMAZXING!

It's called Sweek Cakes bake shop, and she makes gluten free stuff, but they taste sooo much better than anything. Her shop is on 200 N.
Good luck, and congratulations!

Kristina P. said...

I hope you had good holidays, Val!