Saturday, March 14, 2009

Maturation...

Thursday was maturation day in the 6th grade. No, everyone didn't mature at the same time, though wouldn't that be nice?

They got "the talk" - which seems to be different here in Utah! It was an advertisement for Playtex Tampons and a hard sell to use tampons instead of pads! Weird...they didn't even mention tampons back in the dark ages when I had "the talk". They showed a video with very explicit instructions on how to insert a tampon (with drawings, not humans thank goodness!!) And the nurse went on and on about the benefits of tampons and the bad side to pads. It was the weirdest hour I've spent in a long time.

And they never discussed you know what (I don't want to use the s word e because x it might bring unwanted traffic here!)I was kind of disappointed - I had hoped to learn something!!

She talked about the male anatomy for about 2 seconds and harrassment for maybe 3 seconds. The rest of the hour - tampons. I hear they cover you know what in 8th grade here. Can't wait!

I'm getting ready to leave for a trip next weekend. I am meeting my sister in Northern California for a week long bookbinding class. I'm kind of having a hard time with the whole thing. I want to be excited and adventurous, but I'm filled with the mom guilt.

What is it about mom guilt?

Why do I feel like I don't deserve to go away by myself?

Why is it hard for me to leave my kids?

Why do I feel like no one can protect them but me?

I know it stems from my own separation anxiety when I was a kid - I would freak out when my mom would leave - because no one did take care of me. I was the youngest of 5 and my brothers and sisters barely knew I existed! And my dad wasn't exactly a hands on nurturing kind of guy! Amazing how things follow you your whole life!

They'll be fine, I know. They have a great dad, and they're practically old enough to take care of themselves. Maybe I'm worried they're growing up and won't need me....perhaps it's me that needs the maturation!!!

On a lighter note...I stalked a lady at the grocery store yesterday!!

I was supposed to get my hair cut yesterday. I'd been waiting a LONG time to get cut and highlighted by my old hairstylist that moved to Utah. She hurt her ankle playing basketball and had to cancel. I was soooo bummed. I wanted cute hair for my trip. Oh vanity, thy name is ME!

We ran into the grocery store in Centerville and I saw this lady with FABULOUS hair - just the hair I wanted. So I stalked her through the produce, finally catching up with her and told her I really liked her hair and would she mind telling me where she got it cut. She took my number and said she'd call me with the lady's number. I was sure that was the end of it. I desperately wanted to take a picture of her - but there was no way I could do it without her knowing. Need a telephoto camera phone!!

She actually called me before I was even home!! I was shocked! And I have an appointment with the new hairdresser on Thursday evening! Moral of the story - sometimes stalking pays!! I'll let you know how it turns out...wish me luck!

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That is SO weird about the maturation class! I had mine in California, and there was no talk about tampons.

I really hope parents are talking to their kids about sex, since it's not being done AT ALL in the schools apparently.

And I'm sure your hair will be fabulous.

Alyson | New England Living said...

Nice to be rewarded for stalking, isn't it?

My daughter has had all that maturation talk at school already. She gets totally freaked out when they talk about it at school, though she doesn't seem to mind asking us very personal questions! I guess that's a good thing, right? Must mean she feels comfortable with us, at least I hope.

Heidi said...

Like Kristina, I had the talk in California but for me it was so long ago that they just showed a really gross movie of a woman giving birth--lots of blood spurting everywhere. I guess it was meant to be some kind of (you now what) prevention measure. It must have worked! I didn't get pregnant until I had been married three years!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hi Val! I miss you so much. I'm so happy to hear they are promoting tampons nowadays. hee hee. I didn't try them until I was 21 and I fainted the first time I inserted. ha ha ha ha Literally. I was on a study abroad in Isreal and I went down for the count. ha ha What a wimp. But it was the best thing I'd ever done and I can't believe I wasted all that time with pads.

Good luck on your trip. Your kids will be great! And you need it.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Sorry about your sick kids. And I can't wait to see your new hair cut!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I totally get that mom guilt thing also. In fact right now I am in Seattle visiting my sick mom and having a ridiculously over due break from a sick kid, but still I feel bad and worry about how things are going at home. My youngest is 9 and a girl and the most capable person in the house right now, so my worries totally unwarranted.

Go and have a fabulous times looking fabulous with your new hair cut. So glad the stalking paid off. I have never yet regretted a stalking situation, but I am sure I will some day when the restraining order is filed by the BYU football team.

MakingChanges said...

Where have I been Val? I have been missing out on your brilliance. Well, I think that I need to hear all about the tampons vs. pads debate because I remember them saying eons ago that tampons were worse because of TSS. Is there new info? Not that it will be of any use, just curious!

Can't wait to hear about your fabulous hair appointment. Hope it is all you want and more!

Hey, go to my blog and check out the winner(s) of the nasty fridge contest.

PS Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Our maturation was a week ago Tuesday. I am here in Utah...aparently each school nurse must put together their own program to show. Ours went totally different than yours. Infact I was impressed with how well it was done. This is my 2nd daughter to attend this program with.Our school nurse said that tampon were an option that as mothers we could talk about with our girls.

I was so glad to be with my daughter. I grew up in CA and they taught it during school hours. My mother was a school teacher at another school. I felt wierd the rest of the day. Wished I could talk with my mother.

April said...

Tampons, what are they? HA! It's been far too long for me ladies! Sorry!

Stalking can be fun, not that I would know! :)

Kristina P. said...

Val, where the heck have you gone? Are you still traumatized? :)

sarah said...

ugh. my "talk" had nothing of tampons, which is unfortunate because i couldn't get over the disgust of pads. ugh.

mommy guilt. another ugh. i wish i could snap and turn it off or know what to tell you, but if i'm home 15 minutes late, i crash under a flood of it. i need help!!!

but have fun on your vacation, you'll be better for it, for sure.