Sunday, January 18, 2009

Snow and Ice; not feelin' the love...

Last Saturday, after being down a week with bronchitis, I finally decided to get up and go watch the kids sledding at the school. This was their 3rd time sledding and I hadn't watched yet. So I drove myself down to the school to surprise them. They were having a great time and I was just standing there watching them (with my new Croc boots on) feeling all warm and toasty, enjoying the fact I was up and out and being a good mom by making all that effort to go watch my cute children enjoying the whole winter thing, when the ice/snow I was standing on shifted and my ankle snapped to the side. No slipping, no falling, just snap and then incredible pain. I'm yelling for Eric to come back up the hill because I can't move and it hurts like the dickens (what does that even mean?) He helped me over to a bench and I took my boot off and iced it (handy having all that snow around!)

I made it through the weekend on borrowed crutches and a immobilizer boot. Kind of interesting how many people around here had crutches and boots to lend...hazard of the weather I guess! Or I live in a clutzy area!

Anyways-made it to the dr on Monday and after xrays - he couldn't tell if it was broken or not. In one view it looked to have a hairline fracture and the other view it looked ok. They took more films and still couldn't decide. He said because of the one xray and where my pain was he thinks it might be broken. So I'm in the boot for 2 weeks and then I go back to be x-rayed again. Odd thing though, he told me I could rent crutches from Albertsons grocery store. Why would a grocery store rent crutches? Another one for my "only in Utah" file!

It's been warm and the snow is quickly melting. It gets my hopes up that it's over for the season, but alas, I know there's more just around the corner - just in time for my birthday - happy birthday to me, thanks for the lovely gift!

If you missed church today, there is a great Relief Society going on at http://crashtestdummydiaries.blogspot.com/. The discussions continue in the comments - Crash is a good read for sure.

4 comments:

Schaeffer Farms said...

I wish I was there to bring you something yummy to make your winter blues fade for a few minutes. Maybe I could send you a fish taco?

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hi Val. I like your blog title "living la vida Utah!" hee hee That's funny.

Sorry about your ankle. That snow can me spiteful.

Thanks for stopping by!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey, your verifier says fluff.

April said...

Hi Val! I wandered over from Crash's site. Sorry about your ankle! Hope it heals quickly for you!