However - news flash - fat fills in wrinkles!!
I was shopping for sunglasses the other day and accidentally took a good look at myself in the mirror. I am wrinkled now - more jowl - less double chin - I looked old to me. It made me sad. It's not a vanity thing...it's a face reality thing. It's been bothering me for days.
This morning I was watching this past weeks Grey's Anatomy -the singing one - when the last song came on sung by Callie. I love music, so I especially love it when my inspiration/validation comes in the form of a song. I especially love the part when she's almost yelling - I so feel that way these days. I just need to get these bottled up emotions out.
The Story
All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I’ve been
And how I got to where I am
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~
All of the friends who think that I’m blessed
They don’t know I’m in this mess
No they don’t know who I really am
And they don’t know what I’ve been through
Like you do, and I was made for you
(complete lyrics below)
They really are my story - and I've earned them all.
It's been a rough few months. My 19 year old nephew was killed crossing in a crosswalk in mid December. Only he didn't die right away - his family had to make the agonizing decision to turn off life support. He was hit by a 19 year old who didn't see him because he was texting his girlfriend.
The first court appearance was last week. It's been a real pendulum of emotions - from wanting the price to be paid for Alex's death and the message sent out that it's NOT ok to text and drive...to the maternal side of me not wanting the driver's life to be ruined from a truly stupid mistake. Also, there for the Grace of God go I - not from texting because I'm really not skilled enough to text and drive, but I've done my share of chatting on the phone and other stupid distracting things.
Please just hang up and drive people - you don't want to be on either side of this situation, believe me.
My family went over and helped my sister clean out his room this week...sad, but enlightening. You really should be careful what you save - someone's going to have to go through it someday - just sayin' ;)
Complete lyrics
The Story by Brandi Carlile
(original song on sidebar to right-------->)
(original song on sidebar to right-------->)
All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I’ve been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don’t mean anything
When you’ve got no one to tell them to
It’s true, I was made for you
I climbed across the mountaintops
Travel across the ocean blue
I cross over lines and I broke all the rules
And baby I broke them all for you
Oh because even when I was flat broke
You made me feel like a million bucks
You do, I was made for you
You see the smile that’s on my mouth
It’s hiding the words that don’t come out
All of the friends who think that I’m blessed
They don’t know I’m in this mess
No they don’t know who I really am
And they don’t know what I’ve been through
Like you do, and I was made for you
All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I’ve been
And how I got to where I am
Oh but these stories don’t mean anything
When you’ve got no one to tell them to
It’s true, I was made for you
Oh yeah, and it’s true that I was made for you
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(Kazzy, I'd love to hear you sing this song!)


9 comments:
Congrats!
And I'm truly sorry for your loss. I know that even if I'm just looking at my email, and not even texting it's not OK, and I need to put the damn phone down!
I'm so sorry! What an awful loss...and so young. I hope you and your family are blessed during this seriously difficult time.
Texting while driving really pisses me off! I text all the time, and I can't imagine taking the risk of doing it while operating a potentially deadly weapon. I wish there were some way that texting would automatically be disabled while driving a car.
Congratulations about all the weight loss. I am working at that myself. I am sorry about your nephew. That is truly heart breaking.
I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew! How awful. I'm trying to be a good citizen and not text and drive...hopefully this will make me even better.
I absolutely LOVE that song. I listen to Brandi Carlisle's version frequently.
First - so sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing and as much as I harrass my son to STOP texting and driving, he still sneaks it in, and it literally makes me sick to my stomach to think of the possiblities. I think I am going to show him your blog post and make him sign a contract with me.
Second congrats on the weight loss - well done!
Thirdly - love the lyrics. I too feel like I have earned EVERY SINGLE ONE of my wrinkles and sure I use my lotions and creams, but I am weird enough to actually like my wrinkles. Maybe in another 10 years I won't feel that way : )
Oh man, my heart just breaks for your sister...for your nephew. That is just so, so sad.
WHY can't people put their phones away when they are driving.
It is happening far to often now.
and yet.....like you said, But for the Grace of God go I......and this was just a tragic mistake made by another young man who has to live with that every day of his life now.
Congrats on the weight loss. That is GREAT. Wrinkles do tell a life's story. Hopefully they are mostly laugh lines (tee,hee)
Was great to read your blog post Val. I have missed ya.
I am sorry for your loss. That is so sad. A great reality check.
And on a side note... I have lost 30 lbs in the past 8 months and totally agree with you on the wrinkle thing. Face lines totally pronounced.
Congrats on the weight loss, sorry 'bout the wrinkles, most sorry about your nephew. What a heart breaking thing. Man. Praying for you & your family.
That is horrible!!!!! Sending out emotional hugs to you and your nephews parents! That's just breaks. my. heart.
LY!
Post a Comment