Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Holy Crap

For some reason, since I've moved to Utah - it's been 3 whole months now - I've started saying "holy crap" I don't know why, is it a Utah thing I've picked up by osmosis?

But holy crap, it's been 2+ months since I last posted - perhaps I've been too busy livin' la vida Utah!

I was trying to make a list in my head of all the Utah experiences I've had since we've been here - maybe I'll have more luck, if I actually write them down!

* fair in Morgan - that could not have been more small town Utah - it was absolutely hilarious and horrifying at the same time to watch little, little kids riding sheep in the rodeo. They would put their arms around the neck of the sheep and hook their legs around the middle and hold on for dear life. Then they would fall off and almost get trampled by the sheep.

* corn from the side of the road - no I did not steal it! There is a lady in Layton that sells corn picked that morning from the back of her truck 3 for a dollar - LOVE the corn lady.

*farmers markets - we've been to the one's in Kaysville and Bountiful - again, love getting stuff that the people just picked from their farms. Almost makes up for not having a Henry's or Trader Joes! I miss Henry's and Trader Joes - so. very. much.

* the Davis County Fair - this one was so much fun, we went 2 days in a row!! It was free...free I tell you - only had to pay parking - which was only $2. Highlights - Rach and my niece Amy in the watermelon eating contest, the lumberjack show, all you can eat ice cream night (which would have been cooler if I ate ice cream!), wearing an apron to the fair and people in the ice cream booth thinking I worked there! the yo-yo man, people walking with baby goats on leashes.

* the Kaysville Theater - I LOVE the Kaysville theater. It is only $2 to get in - that's right $2. Friday and Saturday are $3, but if you go before 1pm, it's only a dollar. And popcorn is a dollar and soda is a dollar. Okay, so it's not new releases, but I'm willing to wait! They usually have the movies that have left the main theaters, but before they come out on video. We go there alot!

* constant search for good mexican food and corn tortillas - what is up with Utahns and flour tortillas? Rolled tacos are made with corn tortillas people, when they are made with flour -it's flautas. And chips, also made with corn, not flour! We take our mexi food seriously people, and we'd appreciate it if you'd do the same! Eric's mom is here this week from San Diego and she brought 18 dozen tortillas on the plane with here - yeah!!!!

*camp kiesel - shortly after we moved here - they had cub scout day camp at Camp Kiesel in Ogden canyon. What a cool place - maybe 20 - 25 miles away from us, but we were truly in the middle of nowhere and it was just beautiful. Eric and I dropped Jared off and then we went exploring - oddest find was a monastery in this teeny little town - what makes a bunch of monks say - yeah, let's put a monastery in the middle of mormon nowhere? We went to check it out because I'd heard they are famous for their honey - but we got there just as they closed the gift shop, and Eric didn't want to stick around for the chanting...I'm definitely going back...I'm always up for some honey and chanting.

stay tuned, more to come!

1 comment:

sarah said...

hey val, i'm glad you commented! it is a strange thing commenting on a new blog, but it's oh so nice to receive comments. so thank you! i'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.